Agenda 11/5/14 & Minutes 10/29/14
Post date: Nov 5, 2014 3:55:50 AM
“If you make the tough decisions, people will hate you today
but they will thank you for generations”
— The Iron Lady (Margaret Thatcher)
Council Minutes 10/29/14
- Approval of Minutes
- (Mod): Max and I will be visiting the Vermont School Board tomorrow.
- (DSB): Last meeting: presentation on suicide awareness and prevention, Mr. McCracking presented recent SAT/ACT scores, Stevenson presented MI options, and approved winter sports coaches.
- (Admin): Started on web presence survey to the staff.
- (RJ): Planned presentation for staff today.
- (SL): Finalizing school-wide survey.
- (OEC): Discussed starting handbook reorganization.
- (SA): Finished research on swipe cards (through Lebanon HS and custodial staff) and not in favour of implementing at HHS.
- (COI): Budget was approved and sent to DSB.
- 3 Test Motion
- Last test scheduled should be moved.
- During period you should be working on material.
- Council should give a blanket statement about what a test is, with teacher-specific definitions in their course standards.
- Remember purpose: having 3 tests on a day is harder because of lack of concentrate because you are tired NOT because of stress from studying. Plan ahead and spread work out.
- We (and teachers) are trying to get people to do their best to reflect their knowledge.
- There is a question of jurisdiction but we are not forcing teachers to do anything.
- Change “ultimatum” to “impasse.”
- This helps give guidelines for teachers and supports students normally uncomfortable talking to their teacher in this situation.
- Possible change to large assessment to include projects.
- Spirit is good but motion is unnecessary.
- Teachers are already mindful of load, especially at the end of quarters.
- We seek conversation but dialogue does not start with legislation.
- Teachers generally feel that their own test is the priority.
- This process takes time the wording does not allow.
- New wording does not include 24 hour notice.