Agenda 12/10/14 & Minutes 12/5/14
Post date: Dec 10, 2014 5:37:18 AM
- Approval of Minutes
- Bylaw Revision: Campaign Posters Change
- School Dance Discussion
- Notes & New Business
“A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes,
smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.”
— John C. Maxwell
Council Minutes 12/5/14
- Approval of Minutes
- (Mod): Thanks for taking time to come to today’s Friday meeting.
- (DSB): New Balance
- (SL): Survey will be going out soon
- (RJ): Met with Mr. Smith to plan AIP revisions.
- (OEC): Worked on bylaw revisions that are coming today.
- (Sec): Sophomore and staff alternates can vote.
- Senior Exam Motion Discussion
- Are we strong enough in favour of this motion to overrule Mr. Campbell’s questioning of our jurisdiction?
- Exams will continue in college, so seniors will still have to take them in the future.
- Still a great incentive for students to do well in class.
- Exams are difficult no matter what the effort so this would really change how students work.
- This is our chance to spread our wings and define Council’s boundaries.
- We shouldn’t be rewarding/punishing learning, which should be expected in school.
- This motion isn’t “big” enough to push through an override.
- Exams aren’t that difficult if class work is completed as expected, so there is no point to removing them for As.
- Informal straw poll on overruling: in favour.
- Bylaw Revision: Fall Clean-Up
- Mostly simple, small stuff, lots of grammatical fixes and consistency fixes, should not be a problem.
- Amendment to remove the poster requirements section.
- Amendment passes with no objections.
- Motion passes.
- Bylaw Revision: Campaign Poster Strike
- Removing this shifts elections even closer to a popularity contest.
- What are qualifications for Council and who should members really be?
- Where is the line drawn between serious and satire?
- Posters should catch the eye however they can.
- Voters will vote for their “type” so posters as a whole are unnecessary.
- This requirement could weed out those who do not take it seriously.
- Motion fails.
- Bylaw Notification: Campaign Poster Change