Agenda 12.16.15; Minutes 12.9.15
Post date: Dec 15, 2015 6:32:23 PM
- Approval of Minutes
- Athletics over Break
- Bylaw Revision
- Late Start
- Notes & New Business
Council Minutes 12.9.15
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
- Approval of Minutes
- Mod: New DSB Representative
- Amod: Reminder to keep things civil
- Treasurer: $6,616.26; Co-Curricular Fund: $3,604.00
- Secretary: Staff Alternate can vote, will be making a scanned motions folder. Handbook Revision edit should have been a roll call vote. If you didn’t vote in favor please let Lilly know.
- SL: Continued to discuss the Athletics over Break Motion.
- Curric: Hopefully homework survey will be out before exam week
- Admin: Discussing the MLK assembly.
- SA: Seniors and Juniors won soccer, Survey about Winter Carnival sent out
- RJ: Finishing video
- Nick Beard: Letter was not posted, will be put up soon.
- COI: discussed changes to the Program of Studies
- Athletics Over Break
- “I move that the school adopt a policy to limit athletic practices and games (optional and non-optional) during school vacations. School sports will allow for two consecutive days of no scheduled practices or games during Thanksgiving and February break, and three consecutive days during Holiday and April break.”
- The survey now has over 300 responses and there is a 90% confidence interval that a majority of athletes and varsity athletes are in favor of this motion
- There is a very vocal minority; the majority of athletes don’t feel comfortable speaking in favor of this motion because of pressure from their team or coach. Council should speak for that silent majority
- Amendment: I move to change the motion to read “I move that the school adopt a policy to limit athletic practices and games during school vacations. School sports will allow for two consecutive days of completely optional practices or games during Thanksgiving and February break, and three consecutive days during Holiday and April break. Coaches would communicate with athletes and parents at the start of the season which of those days are optional.”
- This addresses the concerns about students who aren’t going anywhere over break and want to practice
- There are varying degrees of optional; this will create confusion; we can’t legislate the difference between optional and “optional”; optional needs to mean optional
- We should make sure parents know ahead of time because then they are more likely to use the time over break
- Would this amendment mean that the rest of practices over break are non-optional? … Aren’t practices over break already optional?
- Coaches hold a lot of power and influence (too much?) over parents and students
- There is a problem but this isn’t the way to address it
- Meeting Adjourns