Agenda 12/3/14 & Minutes 11/19/14
Post date: Dec 3, 2014 3:34:56 AM
“Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing;
prepare while others are playing; dream while others are wishing.”
— William A. Ward
Council Minutes 11/19/14
- Approval of Minutes
- (Mod): Ben is not here, Max is acting as Secretary.
- (SL): Worked on the quarter 1 survey.
- (SA): Started European sports week with handball.
- (Curric): Discussed location of course concern form.
- (OEC): Started approach to handbook revisions.
- (Admin): Worked on survey results presentation.
- (RJ): Started survey.
- (COI): Continuing discussion of new physics course and homework at next meeting.
- (Sec): Senior and staff alternates can vote.
- Student Life Survey
- Broke into committees to review survey.
- Teacher Web Presence Survey Results
- Teachers would appreciate consistency, but would rather not try and fix something that is not broken. It is important for students to learn to be self-sufficient. However, an important question is “is there a problem?”
- See above link for summary.
- Teacher Web Presence Survey Discussion
- Students should learn to adapt to different methods.
- Teachers should have flexibility to post homework as they choose.
- Unsettling that teachers spend so much time posting their calendars.
- Could include how effective the teacher’s distribution of assignments in course evaluation.
- Bottom line is that the student body is very much in favor of this and it would greatly improve an average student’s daily life.
- Some teachers really don’t need this system to function as good educators.
- Eventually all teachers will transfer online and doesn’t need a Council push especially when there are some teachers who are fine without.
- Nothing in this motion is restrictive, a minimal amount of effort is required on the teacher’s part.
- This is just to help the last couple of teachers who have not moved to the web.
- Though we should represent the students, we need to respect the Council minority of teachers who are the ones affected by this.