Agenda 2/3/16; Minutes 1/27/16
Post date: Feb 3, 2016 1:35:14 AM
Council Minutes 1.27.16
“The cost of ignorance exceeds that of education.”
- Approval of Minutes
- A-Mod: Happy to see committees working on new motions. Mr. Campbell is on the fence, largest criteria for a veto is the “un-enforcibility” of the wording, wants a stronger wording
- Treasurer: Council Funds: $5,131.66; Co-Curricular Funds: $3,604.00
- Secretary: Staff Alternate can vote
- PR: Systems to preserve letters and emails he gets from the community.
- Admin: Worked on different scheduling options.
- OEC: Worked on Bylaw Revisions.
- SL: Discussed Breathalyzers at school dances and upcoming Underclassmen Awards Ceremony Motion.
- SA: Winter Carnival Signups are this Thursday during common ground.
- COI: Discussed a course called Chamber Music
- Underclassmen Awards Motion
- “I move to recommend the following changes to the underclassmen awards:
- Names should be called before the award criteria.
- Personal comments should be written congratulating other top students in report cards.
- The awards list should be shared between departments as early as possible to help decrease repeat winners.
- Presentations should be kept as short as possible.
- We should strive to create student awards that honor a more diverse set of the high school population (student life will discuss this further).
- Have all decisions reviewed by coordinator’s committee before award night.”
- Coordinators Meeting: Made up of department chairs, Athletic Department, Music, No parental/student/community members. A closed meeting.
- Talked about recognizing members of different clubs as a way to make the award-winner more diversed.
- Staff on Committee felt that Awards Ceremony is the only time where Academics are awarded and given attention. Making ceremony optional would take away the importance.
- Recommending to the Administration as a whole.
- Foreign Language Awards ceremony are optional.
- Giving a shout-out to clubs who have been successful in the past year.
- Grade Citations are a separate note that teachers write when they feel a student deserves extra praise. Marked on the transcript. Could encourage more use of the citation.
- Saying the name first will negate some of the disappointment and will make the process more positive, will also make the assembly go faster.
- When we start adding thousands of awards to the list, winning an award loses value.
- Make awards consistent over the years.
- “I move to divide the motion to consider each separate part (a,b,c,d,e, f) individually.”
- Meeting Adjourns