Agenda 3/4/15 & Minutes 2/25/15
Post date: Mar 4, 2015 4:43:34 AM
“Have the courage to act and not react.”
— Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
Council Minutes 2/25/15
- Approval of Minutes
- (Mod): Welcome to our guests and attendees. Motion list is now available in the library.
- (Treas): Motion to allocate $200 to the robotics club from the Co-Curricular Fund for the purchasing of group equipment. Motion passes.
- https://docs.google.com/a/hanovernorwichschools.org/document/d/1M1ubaYjGAXS8j6aeIHYuVzBQ8G6H_jc3n3YEJZgnPtI/preview for full motion details and supporting material.
- (Admin): Worked on changing schedule to put semester 1 exams before winter break.
- (DSB): Report on TCE testing at RMS, calendar for next year set, list of spring coach hires approved, budget report.
- (Curric): Course concern form work.
- (SA): Looked at club budgets. Winter Carnival was a grad success with a victory by the seniors.
- (OEC): Briefly discussed honours courses in the social studies department.
- (Sec): Sophomore alternate can vote.
- Condom Motion
- Motion to introduce condoms into the nurses’ office, where they will be available free of charge to students.
- https://docs.google.com/a/hanovernorwichschools.org/document/d/1SIfjv1sxTXfZpV2X-6iuLSa0zWABtNajs5f_HgeKWpw/preview for full motion details and supporting material.
- Brief presentation by Dr. Linda Grant on a similar program that was implemented in the Boston Public School system. Noted difference between communities and highlighted core guidance aspect that may not apply at Hanover.
- Local medical professionals and nurse in favor of overarching goal to distribute contraception.
- Still more need for education, providing pamphlet on use and other safety is a must.
- Concerns about misuse of condoms lead to comments about requiring conversation with nurse to procure condoms.
- Concerns expressed about school condoning premarital sex, negative publicity while school searches for more students, biased surveying, and maturity and readiness of a student who cannot purchase condoms.