Agenda 4/27/15 & Minutes 4/22/15
Post date: Apr 27, 2015 4:23:37 AM
“A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation
with the bricks others throw at him or her.”
— David Brinkley
Council Minutes 4/22/15
- Approval of Minutes
- (Mod): Spread the word about the opening of the Council Executive position for the 2015-2017 term.
- (DSB): Next meeting Tuesday, April 28, where the vote on RJ will take place. A Council self-evaluation survey will be distributed shortly.
- (OEC): Elections are May 12, nomination forms are currently available in the library. Spread the word to run!
- (Curric): Finalized course concern handbook revision.
- (COI): Discussed honors student absentee issue.
- (Sec): Freshmen and staff alternate can vote.
- Tom Hanlon Cup Voting
- PR to SL Bylaw Revision Notification
- Motion to move PR to Student Life.
- https://docs.google.com/a/hanovernorwichschools.org/document/d/1sSEjlSjY4NO7cK9advDMR4U57vFA0Yda2wOO6JHs0v8/preview for full motion details and supporting material.
- Principal Response Motion Bylaw Revision
- Motion to set a two week limit on the Principal’s allotted time to respond OR produce a timeline of action in regard to a passed motion. This two week period begins when the Principal receives the “Council Passed Motion Form.” This form contains the wording of the motion and a space for the signature of the motion maker, the moderator, and the Principal, along with a space where the Principal will indicate the outcome and explain his or her motives. The Principal (or a representative thereof) must deliver a progress report on the administration’s decision during the Council meeting taking place NO MORE than two school weeks after the Principal receives the form. At the “one-week progress report,” the Principal (or a representative thereof) may request an extension. On the second Council meeting after a decision has been reached, the Principal’s decision will be presented.
- https://docs.google.com/a/hanovernorwichschools.org/document/d/1eLO1gM8Em7Jey-H5n6BmHUFT_b9UeHUOO-w4o3Bhlt0/preview for full motion details and supporting material.
- Addresses the need for transparency in the time period after council passes a motion.
- There should be a set process that occurs after a motion is passed.
- The form system has been used during the entirety of this year and has been successful.
- No consequences are necessary, Mr. Campbell will respect this.
- A staff meeting is not necessary for the principal to approve a motion.
- Motion to amend the motion to read “…during the Council Executive Committee meeting taking place…”
- An approval process will take up a lot of Council time.
- Only the Moderator and A-Mod need to grant the extension.
- Amendment passes.
- This is over legislating a problem that doesn’t really exist.
- A two week length is too short.
- Motion to amend the motion to read “three weeks” where appropriate.
- No motion that would need more than two weeks would pass suddenly.
- The short amount of time makes sure the motion doesn’t get lost.
- Amendment fails.
- This motion is prudent for the future and different administration.
- Motion to append the motion with “If by the second meeting, an extension has not been granted and the Principal has not come to a decision, the motion is considered vetoed.”