Agenda 5/13/15 & Minutes 5/6/15
Post date: May 13, 2015 3:52:15 AM
“Coming together is a beginning;
keeping together is progress;
working together is success.”
— Henry Ford
Council Minutes 5/6/15
- Approval of Minutes
- (Mod): Middle school elections have concluded and the following have been elected: Simon Roach, Elizabeth Napier, Will Laycock, Dillon Bradley, Adam Blackburn (Alternate).
- (Treas.): Worked on budgets and will bring CC budget next week.
- (COI): Presentation next meeting on chronic honors absenteeism.
- (OEC): Elections started off well, staff are encouraged to run.
- Special Announcement to Thank Mr. Tindall and Ms. Murray
- Council has been fortunate enough to have been given access to a large open room by the generosity of two teachers. To thank them for allowing us to disrupt their classrooms and rearrange their seating charts frantically, Council presents two gift cards to Salt Hill Pub to Mr. Tindall and Ms. Murray.
- Course Concern Handbook Motion
- Motion to replace the existing handbook policy entitled “To Register a Complaint” with improved wording and provide a clearly labeled link to this policy on the homepage of the Council website:
- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TmMUvd2lXp1ULSqoOkbQlP962rfg8I65OOfh_UegUdE/preview for full motion details and supporting material.
- This motion is to clean up and make more accessible.
- Uses language that is less negative.
- Reinforces proper steps, including a conversation before anything else.
- Students feel more comfortable praising than criticising so this should be kept functioning.
- Just an improvement on existing, not a creation.
- Motion passes.
- PR to SL Bylaw Revision
- Motion to move the PR Officer to the Student Life committee.
- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sSEjlSjY4NO7cK9advDMR4U57vFA0Yda2wOO6JHs0v8/preview for full motion details and supporting material.
- PR is only in OEC to promote Council elections.
- SL should have a leadership member.
- Motion passes.
- Council Member Survey Presentation
- Exams After Break/Block Scheduling Survey Presentation
- Only Staff Elect Staff Discussion
- Could allow for two staff to fill one representative role on Council.
- Current resources for staff need to be properly utilized before Council is made unequal.