Agenda 5/23/13 & Minutes 5/16/14
Post date: Jun 4, 2014 9:53:25 PM
- Approval of minutes
- Plan M
- Council forum
- Jcomm report
- Notes & New business
Council Minutes 5/16/14
- Approval of minutes
- (Mod): Welcome new members!
- (Treas): Still working on club budgets but what is being requested is more than we have to give.
Motion to transfer all the money left over in the co-curricular funds to the Council funds.
- (DSB): The new members from the Class of 2018 are Johanna Bandler, Sarah Bozuwa, Aisling Kelly, Harrison Silber, and Collin Rozzi (alt.)
- (Admin): Motion to allocate $20 to the admin committee for staff of the year.
- Student Life survey report:
Things to be most concerned about:
- Amount of sleep students are getting.
- Amount of homework being given (60% of students felt that the amount of school work given affects their sleep even after managing their time well).
- Hope to improve the relationship between students and staff at school.
- Scheduling Committee report:
- Met in winter/spring of 2013.
- Set up to investigate different scheduling options.
- Consisted of community, staff, administration, and students.
- Main goals: to improve conflicts that cause loss of class time, student stress, exclusivity of Council, lack of a lunch period, and maintain student freedom.
- Spent time gathering data, sending out surveys, exploring different models, and creating templates.
- Last meeting date: 6/23/13.
- Staff has not seen plan T(w).
- Plan M:
- Might help us talk about other possible plans.
- Would provide long break on Wednesday with 5 minutes less of class time.
- Council would be shortened by 5 minutes.
- Not mutually exclusive with plan T(w).
- Motion to implement Plan M.
- Overall will be helpful to not have students miss a full class period every week.
- Accessibility of Council is great.
- The missing 5 minutes can add up quickly.
- We discourage long periods of time where students are free.
- Many teachers may schedule their x-periods on Wednesdays now
- (Administration tells the teachers when they are and aren’t allowed to have x-periods).
- Having Council take place during activity period may help us find a more accessible space to meet.
- Might solve the problem of tardiness to Council after activity period on Wednesdays
- Always will be some issues surrounding time.