Minutes 11.01.17/Agenda 11.08.17

Post date: Nov 13, 2017 12:35:17 PM

Agenda 11.08.17

    1. Approval of Minutes
    2. Reports
    3. Course Evaluation Standardization Motion
    4. Common Ground Discussion
    5. Electronic Voting Discussion
    6. Late Dismissal Discussion
    7. Notes and New Business

Council Minutes 11.01.17

“You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails to always reach your destination.” -Jimmy Dean

1. Approval of Minutes

2. Reports

    • A-Mod: Reminder to committee chairs to take attendance weekly.
    • Treasurer: Co-curricular fund = $5200, subject to change. Council fund = $6369.71.
    • Secretary: Sophomore alternate can vote at 10:45. Freshman alternate can vote.
    • Curric: Discussed Course Evaluation Standardization Motion brought back to committee with Mr. Campbell. Worked on wording.
    • SAC: Second day of Quidditch yesterday.
    • SL: Discussion on how to target stress at Hanover.
    • CPP: Discussed upcoming motions and course proposals. Two new Social Studies classes proposed. Motions regarding Chromebook use and Schoology access for parents.

3. UNICEF Allocation

I move to allocate up to $150 from the Co-Curricular Fund to the UNICEF Club.

    • UNICEF bought paint for school-wide activity on Thursday in the band room. Painted pumpkins and raised money for UNICEF. Need to pay for the paint. Students could make donations if wanted. Pumpkins were donated. Snacks provided were donated. Just need money for paint for pumpkins.
    • Club will make net profit if they receive money.

I move to table the debate until a representative from UNICEF is present at Council.

    • There are many unclear things. Allocation is for a decent amount of money. Would prefer to have questions answered by present UNICEF member before voting on allocation.
    • Motion Passes

4. Cell Phone Motion

I move to amend the cell-phones section of Section 8 in the Handbook to read

“The use of electronic devices must not interfere with academics or constitute a threat to health and safety.

All electronic devices may only be used in class with the teacher’s permission. Staff has no authority to preemptively confiscate any electronic devices that are silenced and stored away. Electronic devices can be used in public spaces where students are allowed to congregate such as the atrium, the café, the library, the resource centers and the great outdoors.

Electronic devices may be used in corridors; however, users should be aware of the current handbook rule which states that ‘Behavior in corridors and foyers which disrupts instruction or harms the school’s generally positive atmosphere will not be permitted.’

All electronic devices must be turned off or turned to mute during any form of safety or emergency drill or procedure.”

    • Looked at response from survey sent out to staff and students. There was overwhelming opinion that no one should be able to confiscate a phone that is silenced and stored away.
    • Difficult to assume whether “stored away” means put away in backpack or in pocket on person. Better to have clear language where “stored away” means electronic device is in backpack because most evidence states that when phones are on person, creates greater anxiety. One could argue that can cause student anxiety not to have phone on them, but most research counters this argument.
    • Believe there should be wording about consequences if handbook rule is not being followed that teacher should be allowed to take away phone.
    • Preemptively means that if phone cannot be heard or seen, cannot be taken.

I move to amend the motion to add in wording after “stored away,” “in a bag, separate from the person.”

    • Specifies where electronic devices should be stored away.
    • Motion Passes
    • Abstention: Difficult for teacher to know whether the electronic device is on person or in backpack stored away.
    • Have taken ideas of staff and student and put into motion.
    • Clarity needed as to what would happen if student does not follow rule. Unclear if teacher can take device for remainder of the period, remainder of the day, should send to office, etc.
    • Perhaps consequence would be based on teacher discretion because depends on situation.
    • Motion Passes
    • Abstention: Some components of motion have not been discussed, such as emergency procedure. Unclear as to whether student should be able to access electronic devices during emergency.

5. UNICEF Allocation

    • Used pumpkin painting event to raise money for UNICEF. Got pumpkin donations from Riverview Farm. Would use Council money to cover for art supplies. Decorated pumpkins. By-donation event.
    • UNICEF earned $70. All will be donated to UNICEF. Spent around $100 dollars on art supplies.
    • People should ask for money from Council before event. Best is to request money with budget at the end of the year.
    • Helped create school spirit and awareness around good cause.
    • Would have made more money if event was during Common Ground.
    • Support giving money because school-wide event, but should be careful to not set this as precedent.
    • Should be advertised that clubs should be raising money to keep club sustainable in addition to giving money to cause instead of giving all money to cause.
    • UNICEF has not requested any money in the past with a budget form. UNICEF was created in 2016. Because part of larger association, UNICEF is not permitted to keep money for own club. All money gained has to go to UNICEF.
    • There are some clubs associated with charities where money is given to club that cannot be given to organization. For example, She’s the First has an account balance that they are not allowed to donate.
    • Last year, similar incident. Creates culture to raise money for outside charity using school funds. Even though it is good to support school funds, there needs to be clarification how district funds and fundraising work together.
    • Need to learn this as learning experience for the future.
    • Motion Passes
    • Abstention: Need to create a better line of communication with clubs. Happened last year, repeated again this year. Council needs to be stricter with spendings.

6. Rock Climbing Allocation

I move to allocate $500 from the Co-Curricular Fund to the Rock Climbing Club.

    • Every year Rock Climbing Club takes trip to Connecticut. Way to introduce new members of the team in a fun team building event to get new climbers oriented to the team and to climbing. $500 is to cover bus transportation. Fundraising within team to rent out gym for the evening and support rest of team on trip.
    • Was not requested at the end of last year for annual budget. Rock Climbing Club was unaware of Co-Curricular Funds that were accessible. Plan to put into annual budget in future. No SAC member went to club to discuss budget. Have not requested money in the past from Council.
    • Trip will take place in mid-December.
    • Approximately 15-20 will be involved on the trip. Climbing team currently reaches out to 30 people in the middle school and the high school. Overall cost of the trip ranges from $2000-$3000.
    • Bus is alternative to individual’s driving themselves. Want to cut down on environmental footprint.
    • Rock Climbing Club does not have to pay money similar to $150 athletic fee to participate in athletics at the high school. Have to purchase annual gym membership to be part of club. Do not need to pay for all co-curricular activities at the high school, example Footlighter’s participants do not need to pay fee to participate.
    • $500 number was calculated from equation.
    • Rock Climbing Club does not get funding from high school athletic department.
    • Motion Passes
    • Abstention: Rock Climbing Club meets 2-3 times a week for the full year. Wish Hanover High athletic department recognized club as sport and would help funding.
      • Athletic department cannot treat rock climbing as sport because NHIAA does not recognize as official sport.

I move to adjourn.

    • Motion Fails

7. Common Ground Discussion

    • Got switched out of Common Ground sophomore year because became Council representative. While there is value to being in same Common Ground for 4 years, was not harmful to switch Common Ground. Was better overall because new Common Ground gained Council member and was able to have more meaningful discussions about Council.
    • One important component of Common Ground is that you stay together with the same people for 4 years. Get to go through high school with them. That is valuable and moving Council members to make sure each Common Ground has representative defeats that purpose.
    • System works where if there is not a Council member in nearby Common Ground for Common Ground with Council member to briefly report in other Common Ground without representative. Better than moving people around.
    • If people are moved around, can choose to leave current Common Ground briefly on Thursday to go report to other Common Ground, or to leave Common Ground officially and switch. Is optional for students.

8. Meeting Adjourns