Minutes 5.17.17/Agenda 5.24.17
Post date: May 27, 2017 2:33:14 PM
- Approval of Minutes
- Ballots Money Allocation
- Leadership Elections
- Notes and New Business
Council Minutes 5.17.17
“In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.” -Eric Hoffer
- Approval of Minutes
- Mod: Welcome to new Council, you will be able to vote starting in two weeks and this week old Council votes. If you would like to speak just raise your hand. Officers and Committee Chairs need to write their letter with goals and share it with me.
- Secretary: No alternates can vote. For elections 543 people voted: 130 9th, 130 10th, 115 11th, 114 12th, 55 staff. If there are election questions or suggestions let me know. Leadership elections are next week and that is a long meeting that runs at least through 4th period and we want everyone to stay for the whole meeting.
- Curric: Met quickly to discuss reordering ballots
- OEC: Debriefed Council elections
- Service: Met and discussed an announcement about the requirement if it is approved. Discussed roles and strategies for the committee for next year. Let the committee know if you are interested in joining.
- Observances: Presented last week to the staff and we are going to look over those minutes
- Circle Up: Hosting a movie screening and discussion next Monday night from 7:00-8:00 and it is about the definition of success and perfection in high schools.
- Poster Bylaws Motion
“I move to strike ‘no later than one week’ from Article III, Section B, subsection 2, point d”
- There was confusion during elections because this isn’t current practice and we don’t want to confuse future candidates
- Motion Passes
- Leadership Nominations
- MI Discussion
- Exposes students to others that they wouldn’t have met otherwise
- We can discuss improving MI without suspending it
- It is discouraging for teachers to hear about students who don’t value MI or dropping out of programs because it takes so much time to plan
- We need to talk about improving the program
- The main concern that arises is inequity within the program regarding the expensive trips and it’s worth considering that while the trips are expensive, there are scholarships available and the trips are substantially cheaper than it would be for a student to travel in another case
- People complain about very personal negative experiences with MI but we have to value the program as a whole
- People don’t realize how much work goes into creating a MI and we should encourage students to work on designing them because of the additional perspective
- We should try to change the price so that we can meet all need with the scholarship fund
- We need to develop new ways to keep people engaged
- Independent study should be more accessible for students
- Meeting Adjourns