Minutes 9.14.16/Agenda 9.17.16
Post date: Sep 21, 2016 2:21:20 PM
Council Minutes 9.14.16
- Approval of Minutes
- Moderator: Welcome to Civitas classes and to the new Staff Reps. If 9th graders wish to speak you can raise your hand and be put on the speakers list. For Council members, looking for two students and one staff to be part of the Nick Beard Committee. Will all community members interested in Council stay afterwards.
- A-Mod: Committee descriptions will be sent out to the new staff today and it would be great to have then by Monday so we can assign committees.
- Treasurer: The balance for clubs we have funded for this year is still at zero and I have a meeting today about that
- Secretary: Junior and Sophomore alternates can vote. For freshmen the minutes and a ton of other information is available on the Council website. Remember that if you want to reference the comments of someone who spoke before you just say, “The previous speaker” rather than give their name.
- PR: Council updates will be posted to the Council Public Schoology Group.
- Curric: Discussed changes for the Homework Communication Motion
- OEC: New/Tuition Elections tomorrow in the library for all New/Tuition students.
- SL: Discussed concerns with the schedule and March Intensive.
- SAC: Reviewed club list to check to make clubs haven’t disbanded for this year.
- Activity Period Switch Motion
“I move to change the HHS schedule as follows…
- Would go into effect at the start of the 2017-2018 school year
- Help students who prefer not eating in class or are not allowed to eat in mid-day class
- It wouldn’t affect the morning class for Hartford
- Couldn’t schedule around HATCT if student had a full schedule, only if they were allowed to have a free period
- Schedule was originally created this way so as not to conflict with Hartford classes and so it wasn’t a lunch period but a club meeting time
- Students taking Dartmouth classes have to make sacrifices to schedule around them and because the changes go into effect next year so students could schedule around them
- “I move to amend the Wednesday part of the schedule to read, “Period 4: 10:15-10:55 and Council Period: 11:00-11:45”
- Seems to be a typo that the Council period is short and 4th on Wednesday is long and it can be a quick fix
- Amendment Passes
- The current time is a little early and students are just used to it the way it is now
- A slight convenience for a majority of students is not worth a major scheduling problem for another group of students (no matter how small)
- Three classes in the morning and four in the afternoon is more conducive to how students are awake in the morning and the break sets students up for a longer block of classes in the afternoon
- Students with medical eating restrictions are allowed to eat by teachers
- Speaks to the larger problem of not having a lunch period
- “I move to conduct a straw poll of everyone if people are interested in the schedule change if it presents no conflicts like Hartford or Dartmouth. If you think the schedule change would benefit you personally”
- About a 55/45 split against the motion
- Parents are frustrated that lunch is not a priority and that there is no lunch period
- Parents who are concerned with a lack of lunch period can schedule a free period in the middle of the day with guidance
- We should look at how accessible food it
- Food is already accessible and there are plenty of grab-and-go options in the cafe
- The size of the freshmen class make it hard to get food quickly
- Motion Fails
- Basketball Hoop Money Allocation
“I move to allocate $500 from the Council fund for the purchase of a basketball hoop for the
- $1500 was raised through a grant and this $500 would be for a nicer hoop and lines
- Council should encourage groups to fundraise for things first like this group did
- Would be placed on the flat space down near the turf
- Council funds exist for funding things for the school like this and are currently about $3,000
- What would these $500 get the $1500 won’t
- Motion Passes
- Meeting Adjourns